project mexico notes

July 29, 2006
I’m sitting after morning prayer and the mists have lifted. I can see the ocean — the grandeur of God. The orphanage is charming, obviously full of Christ’s love. It is a privilege to be here.

The chapel is wonderful. I am so excited — there are relics of St. Innocent and St. Nektarios. St. Nektarios seems to be keeping special watch over me these last several years. I think he has had a huge part in leading me into Orthodoxy. Thank you, blessed Nektarios!

The horses are neighing, the sheep and goats “baa”-ing and life looks like a picture here. But it isn’t a picture. I’m here and in this place, and I am glad. Deep peace is present here. Stillness — I have a small taste of it.

I have been enjoying Fr. L’s dry and wonderful way of humor. I do love him so. I also can see my nouno has quite a way with all the boys. Below me on the hillside are beautiful jeweled dewdrops on spiderwebs.

The humidity and the clouds are high, and it looks to be a nice and cool day for pouring cement.


It stayed cool, cloudy, and humid all day. When we arrived on site, we discovered that we had a bit of an incline to level on a beautiful area in the hills.

At the corner of the next lot, there is an ocean view. We picked and shoveled at the clay, and three hours later had a leveled site — but not without a visitor, a baby tarantula! He was a little fuzzy.

After framing, we had a nice tuna sandwich lunch, and then began the cement work. My nouno and I ran the screed board. After we were about halfway through with the slab, waiting for a delivery of bags of cement, I had an opportunity to go and talk with Laura, for whom we were building the house. Laura Limón León – Laura Lime Lion. Cool name! She is 34 and has an 11yr old son and a ~19 yr old daughter, who has an eight year old daughter. At least the 4 of them will live in the little 11ft x 23ft house we build. Laura is very happy, and has such a joyful smile. She tells me (in Spanish) that she is very excited, that this is ‘un milagro’ – a miracle. She and her son have helped with the digging all morning. We talk for about 20 minutes before the rest of the cement arrives.

Since there is no running water here, earlier this morning a water truck brought water which we keep in large 55 gallon plastic barrels. There is no sewer, no electrical lines. As we drove out today, we passed area where there was electricity, and line that people had thrown over the main line an wired to their houses to get electricity hung like tents from the lines in places. These even ran across the road. Very dangerous live wires, especially for children playing. When it rains, I’m told that a distinct humming can be heard from the lines, sometimes shorts happen, and the power is completely out. India is like this as well in places where powerlines run.

We complete the foundation slab and the bolts for the framing are embedded into the still-wet, but hardening, cement. A long day. I’m spattered with cement flecks from head to foot. It feels good to work.

Comments are closed.